A short history of the Ship InnThe Ship Inn Dymchurch has a long history, dating back to the 16th century when it is generally accepted it was named because of its long running connection to the clientele of fishermen and smugglers. 1530 is the date that The Ship Inn first enters the historical record of Dymchurch, this was a time when smuggling was rife along the south east coast of Kent. This was in part due to Romney Marsh being given the right to self governance by King Henry III. Control of the Marsh was given to the twenty three Lords of the Manors of Romney Marsh (also known as The Lords of the Levels). To this day their most important meeting of the year The Grand Lathe is followed by their traditional feast at The Ship Inn. The meal is traditionally prepared using only produce and products from the local area.
The smuggling history of The Ship inn through the centuries is literally engrained into the fabric of the building. There are hidden passageways and voids that have been found in recent years of renovation.
Edinburgh Web Design